Saturday, May 02, 2009

Only By Grace


Scripture
Matt. 19:23 (NLT)   Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to get into the Kingdom of Heaven. 24 I say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!” 25   The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked. 26   Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

Observation
A young man who observe almost all the law came to Jesus and ask about eternal life. in the context of this passage, this man seems that he’s an obedient student of the law. But of course like everyone else He’s not perfect. When Jesus asked him to give up his belongings and give it to the poor, he couldn’t do it. The point of this event is, it’s impossible to gain eternal life with our own effort. No matter how we strife to be perfect to obey God’s law, the one who can save us is God.
The camel was the largest animal found in Palestine. The vivid contrast between the largest animal and the smallest opening represents what, humanly speaking is impossible. Salvation is totally the work of God. Every attempt to enter the kingdom on the basis of achievement or merit is futile. Apart from the grace of God, no one can be saved.

Application
I need to live with constantly reminding myself that only by grace I am saved. not by my might, my will or my good deeds. God is the one who made it possible through Jesus Christ for me to receive the gift of eternal life. In the passage, it specifically mention an example of someone who has greater love for his possession than for eternal life. Money is not everything, it’s only temporary. I don’t live to serve money, i’m here only to serve God who gave me eternal life. Money has to serve me; as I’m holding on to his promise that If I seek HIM FIRST, everything else shall be added.

Prayer
Thank you for your grace oh God. Only by your faithfulness I am saved. Don’t allow me to be blinded by what the world offer, by what wonders of this world, possession and wealth. Help me to seek you first in everything I do. Help me to love your word more and more each day.

No comments: